Online Permit Request Form

The Board issues permits during business hours (Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). If you need a permit after-hours you must use a placeholder permit number until we issue an official number during office hours.

Use this format for placeholder permits: “year”-MN-BAH-TC.

Example, “2024-MN-BAH-TC”

  • Current Overview and Species
  • Veterinarian's Information
  • Premises of Origin
  • Destination Premises
  • Animal Details
  • Complete

An import permit is required for the following, and one form must be submitted for each movement:

  • Breeding cattle and bison of any age.
  • Intact dairy females of any age (including freemartins/queens).
  • Intact beef females 18 months and older.
  • Dairy and beef bulls 10 months of age or older.
  • All cattle/bison for exhibition.
  • All cattle/bison that require a TB test. (Find import requirements here to determine if a test is needed.)
  • Restricted movement feeder sheep/goats destined to a terminal feedlot that are not officially identified.
  • All farmed Cervidae require an import permit.

Please note: Cattle or bison documented on an electronically issued Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) that is available to the Board in the original electronic format within 24 hours of issuance, and complies with Minnesota Administrative Rule 1721.0040, are exempt from needing an import permit.

If you have questions about import permits for cattle, bison, sheep, or goats, please email

Select species